Home
News
Programme
To view
Opportunities
About us
Café
Room hire
Visit us
Press

 

 
History


bygning_forsideÅrhus Kunstbygning is designed by
architect A. Høeg-Hansen, 1917

ophngning bingsudstilling 1917Opening exhibition in 1917


kunstbygning 1954Aarhus Permanent Exhibition, photo 1954

hendes majestt dronning besg 8. september 1972 rhus festuge udstiling fotograf poul pedersen
Her Majesty The Queen of Denmark visits Århus Kunstbygning in 1972

richard mortensen rhus festuge september 1980Richard Mortensen exhibition in 1980

ARCHITECTURE AND HISTORY

 



1917
In 1917 Århus Kunstbygning was founded as a limited company on the initiative of the board of the Aarhus Art Society of 1847. The building was designed by architect A. Høeg-Hansen in a national-classic style.  In the years following, Århus Kunstbygning played an important role as an exhibition space for modern art – the artists from the so called Grønningen-generation plus artists from Charlottenborg in Copenhagen.

1930's
Because of a difficult economic situation in the years between the Wars the building was often rented out for other purposes, until the German occupation force took over the building in 1940 and used it for, among other things, a storage room for uniforms, a horse stable and a refugee camp.

1955
In 1955 Århus Kunstbygning was renovated by the Aarhus Permanent Exhibition, and for a number of years the exhibition halls were used for purposes as diverse as exhibitions of building materials and as a storage room for potatoes.

1972
Concerned about the future exhibition activities in the building, the Municipality of Aarhus took over the limited company Århus Kunstbygning in 1972 as a part of an agreement with the Aarhus Art Society of 1847. At the same time the architectural firm C.F. Møller had started working on an extensive restoration of the buildings, and in 1974 Århus Kunstbygning reopened in its original form.

1977
In 1977 a sculpture by Willy Ørskov was erected in front of the building.


2003
In 1993 and in 2003 two additions designed and conducted by C.F. Møller Architects were erected. The 1993 addition represents the simplicity of a wall erected at a certain distance from the old buildings. The wall is shaped as a part of a circle – yet another geometrical element playing an integrated part in the arrangement of the buildings. The hall thus created between the wall and the old buildings is an exhibition space lit by means of skylights in the ceiling.

The addition from 2003 has been created on the basis of the same simple approach and a similar respect for the architecture of Høeg-Hansen. In the extensions it has been important to preserve the qualities in the already existing buildings while also adding new qualities to strengthen the experience of visiting one of the finest exhibition spaces in Aarhus.


2006
Since January 1st 2006 Århus Kunstbygning has been a private foundation, the Aarhus Art Building Foundation. The foundation consists of representatives from ProKK, the University of Aarhus, the Jutland Art Academy, Institute of Aesthetic Studies, Department of Art History, University of Aarhus plus a private businessman appointed by the Alderman for Culture and Citizens’ Services.

Today Århus Kunstbygning, with its 1.000 square meters exhibition space and its architecture, layout and inflow of light, has grown into an optimal exhibition space for contemporary art.